Soroptimists work together to improve the lives of girls and women in our community and throughout the world. Our members are professional women – employed full or part-time, retired or currently focusing on family. “Soroptimist” means “best for women” and that’s what we strive to achieve.
Members of Soroptimist International of Hood River are a Very Busy group of women! Here’s just a few of the many ways that SIHR contributes to the welfare and well-being of women and girls in the Gorge:
- The Lunafest Women’s Film Festival is a fundraising and outreach program featuring independent films by, for and about women.
- The Community Baby Shower gathers supplies and clothing for infants born to women in poverty.
- Helping Hands Against Violence offers support and shelter to women experiencing domestic violence.
- The Women’s Opportunity Award is a cash award to female head of households seeking to improve their economic status through training and education.
- The Women of Distinction Award honors women who have made outstanding achievement in their professional, business or volunteer activities.